8th Annual Science Fair
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakaatu
By the Grace of Allah (S.W.T) we hope that all of you are fine and in good Islamic spirit. IIT Academy’s 8th Annual Science Fair will be held on Wednesday February 21st 2018. All students from Grades 3 – 8 will be participating in the IIT Science Fair. The purpose of the Science Fair is to evoke thought and conversations about the scientific method.
All teachers and parents will be working with students on possible projects, guidelines, rules and timelines governing the competition. Teachers, the Science Fair Committee members and volunteers will assist students as much as possible. This assistance will be limited to answering any questions or clarifications, providing some equipment and/or chemicals and providing websites to buy any required equipment and/or chemicals.
Students will be working in groups, and teachers will be offering in class guidelines and guidance to keep students on their assigned tasks. Students are required to select a project that is experimental based on the scientific method and critical thinking skills. It is important that students choose a topic which is according to their grade level or higher. Teachers will approve projects ensuring that the topic is related to one of the science units.
On our IIT Academy website, we have listed several potential topics for elementary and middle school students as examples. We have also included many websites as references to assist the students and enhance their projects. Please ensure students integrate Islamic principles within their projects. We hope you will support your child/children to work enthusiastically in this exciting learning process.
Please note that we are looking for sponsors to help support IIT Academy Science Fair.
If you are interested, please contact the IIT Academy office at 416-335-9173.
Also, if you have any suggestions or are willing to volunteer to help with the IIT Science Fair, please contact Sr. Farheen or Sr. Sufia at your earliest convenience.
JazakAllah for your cooperation.
Chairman IIT Academy Science Fair Committee
Please complete the following and adhere to the following due dates:
- November 1st 2017– In class start thinking about a topic for your Science Fair Project.
- November 22nd 2017 – Due Science Fair Project Selection Form. This needs to be approved by the homeroom teacher.
Before you receive your Science Fair Manual you must confirm the members of your group with your teacher (NO MORE than 3 students in a group). Then proceed to the following steps.
- December 6th 2017 – Due Title, Purpose and Hypothesis (the teacher will mark this and provide feedback for you to move on).
- December 23rd 2017 – Gather and record the materials required to work on the project in the Science Manual.
Once the teacher approves the above sections, you may use the winter break to work on your project.
Each of the following steps MUST be completed in the Science Manual and submitted to your teacher for marking and feedback. Marks will be deducted for late submissions.
- January 17th 2018 – Procedure steps Due.
- January 31st 2018 – Observations and Conclusion Due.
- February 7th 2018 – Islamic Perspective Due.
February 12th, 2018 MONDAY – Final Science Fair Projects due.
- February 12th – 15th 2018 – In class presentations and Judging by class teachers to select the top 10 projects for the Annual Science Fair.
- February 21st 2018– IIT Academy Annual Science Fair competition for Top five finalists. Official Judging will take place and each grade will be awarded medals for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Parents will be welcome to see the projects from 2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- 1st Place students from each grade (Grades 3-8) will be entering the Toronto Science Fair which will be held on Saturday March 24th, 2018 and Sunday March 25th, 2018.