Elementary Teacher – IIT Academy (Multiple Postings)
Elementary Teacher – IIT Academy (Multiple Positions)
Posted On: June 22, 2018
Last Day to Apply: July 22, 2018
Employment Type: Full Time – 10 months contract (September 2018 to June 2019) with an option for renewal for the 2018/2019 school year)
The IIT Academy is pleased to advertise for three full-time teaching positions at its elementary Islamic school in Toronto, Ontario. These positions require Ontario Certified Teachers who have a passion for education and are willing to dedicate themselves to nurturing young minds with values that are critical to the development of Islamic identity and civic responsibility.
The IIT Academy is an elementary Islamic School established by the Islamic Institute of Toronto, offering JK/SK, and Grades 1-8 program. The Academy offers the full Ontario curriculum in addition to Arabic Language, French and Islamic Studies. Our vision is to empower our students to become fully conscious of their accountability to God, confident in their identity as Muslims, and ready to fulfil their obligations as citizens of Canada.
Our teachers are part of a dynamic team of educators who are willing to work collaboratively, guided by the Principal and Vice-Principal. It is important to note our school is located in an active Islamic Centre, thus there will be members of the larger community sharing our space on various occasions. The school is also a unionized work environment.
We are seeking to appoint enthusiastic and passionate teachers who are qualified to teach in the primary/junior or junior/intermediate levels. We understand that all teachers have preferences in subject matters and specialized qualifications in different areas, however we do require that all teachers are well-skilled in teaching all subjects that are part of a standard Ontario curriculum. All positions may be assigned other duties depending on operational requirements.
- Prepare courses for presentation to students according to approved curriculum
- Required to attend meetings, conduct parent-teacher interviews, offer remedial or extracurricular activities, and engage in other school-related work outside of these hours on a reasonable basis
- Take on additional responsibilities such as hallway monitoring, after-school duties, parking, library and computer supervision and willingness to participate in extra-curricular activities before, during and after school
- Play a significant leadership role within the school community, providing support to fellow teachers as well as being a role model for students both within and outside of the school environment
- Support measures that will result in school-wide improvement in all areas, including academic achievement, teacher professional development, environmental initiatives and spiritual, physical, social and moral enhancement of students and fellow teachers
- Assist in consolidating the position of the IIT Academy as a leading institution within the GTA and to enhance its standing as a model school for nurturing young minds
- Recommend innovative ways to work with the members of the School Advisory Committee and other parents to promote the vision of the IIT Academy and to review opportunities for collaboration with other personnel in similar institutions across the City
- Facilitate competitions amongst Islamic and other schools in the City to enhance the students’ competitiveness and nurture other life skills
- Assist in the development and/or refinement and strict implementation of new or existing policies, in conjunction with the Principal, to ensure school safety
- Able to assess/observe students with learning or developmental disabilities
- Foster a culture of respect, values and fraternity among students and staff
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Certification from the Ontario College of Teachers for teaching at an Elementary or Secondary school
- Strong classroom management skills and ability to maintain students’ dignity
- Excellent social, ethical and professional etiquette
- Proven communication, interpersonal, Tarbiyyah and organizational skills
- Training in early education and understanding of Library start-up and management
- Strong Technical skills (smartboard integration, Audio-Visual)
- Knowledge of Islamic concepts, Arabic Language and/or French will be considered an asset
- Library Certification (Grade 8 position only) or willingness to pursue a certification in Library Sciences
- Knowledge and experience with project based education
The IIT Academy offers a competitive salary structure that is based on qualification and experience.
To apply for this position, please send the following documents (either hand-delivered, or by mail, or as an e-mail attachment) to the address below, by July 22, 2018.
- Copy of Certificate of Qualification from the Ontario College of Teachers (new graduates are welcome to apply now and provide their certificate as soon as they have received it)
- A cover letter and resume outlining key qualifications and experience related to the position
- A copy of teacher evaluation reports, practice teaching reports or any other relevant performance appraisals
- Reference letters from previous employers will be requested if necessary
BY MAIL OR HAND DELIVERED:
Attention: Yousuf Siddiqui, Principal
1630 Neilson Road
BY E-MAIL: e-mail applications to firstname.lastname@example.org