The amount of time a child spends on homework varies with age and grade level. Following the Ontario Ministry of Education Guidelines, IIT Academy aims to achieve assigning 10 minutes of homework per grade level.
Of course, there’s no way to determine the exact number of minutes a child will take to complete homework assignments. The amount of homework may also vary from day to day.
What can I do as a Parent?
Homework is meant to support learning and is not intended to create tensions in the home. If homework leads to bad feelings between parents and children, it can have negative effects at school and create stress in the home. Here are some tips that can help:
- Show interest in what your child is learning. Be positive and encouraging without doing the homework for your child.
- Provide the right environment to get homework done. Try setting a regular time and place and remove distractions.
- Make sure your child has the supplies and resources needed before they start to work.
- Help with time management to ensure that homework is not put off until the last minute.
What can I do as a Student?
- Make sure you understand the teachers’ instructions and ask for help if you need clarification.
- Take responsibility for your homework. (Don’t wait for your parents to remind you.)
- Take a moment each evening to review your assignments and upcoming deadlines, tests and exams. You’ll reduce stress if you know what’s ahead at school.
- Make sure you have the materials you need to complete your assignments. (Remember to take your books home from school.)
- Use assigned class time to complete assignments.
- Check your agenda
- Check Edmodo – Need Help
- Talk to your child’s teachers early in the school year. Let teachers know that you want to be an active partner in your child’s success.
- Parents are urged to communicate with the teacher if homework is incomplete.
- Let your child’s teacher know about special events or family activities that may conflict with homework assignments.
- Together, we can solve a problem in its early stages.
Homework assignments as follows:
10 – 20 mins (JK -2)
30 – 60 mins (3-5)
60 – 90 mins (6-8)